Creamy vanilla ice cream, sandwiched between two chewy chocolate chip cookies. These gluten free vegan chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwiches are the PERFECT summer treat!!
When it comes to summer desserts, I have a few favorites. Peach cobbler with ice cream of course, classic strawberry shortcake with all the fresh strawberries and homemade cherry crostata, made with the sweetest cherries you can find. All of these desserts involve baking, which I don’t do as much of in the summer. However, for these delicious desserts, turning on the oven when it’s a million degrees outside is totally worth it!!
My newest summertime obsession are these gluten free vegan chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwiches. I took my perfect chocolate chip cookies and tweaked the recipe just a bit. These cookies bake up perfectly chewy and have just the right amount of semi-sweet chocolate chips. Want to know a tip? Try cooling the cookies in the freezer until frozen before assembling your ice cream sandwiches. Once frozen, sandwich a big fat scoop of dairy free vanilla ice cream between two cookies. It will make them much easier to assemble. Trust me.
Summertime is here and it’s time to make some ice cream sandwiches!! These gluten free vegan chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwiches are great for making ahead of time and serving at your next backyard barbecue with friends.
gluten free vegan chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwiches
AUTHOR: Sarah Bakes Gluten Free
RECIPE TYPE: frozen treats
- 3/4 cup cane sugar
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons of coconut oil, melted
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk or oat milk, room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups Sarah’s gluten free flour blend*
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/4 cups dairy free semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 pints of dairy free vanilla ice cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, add cream with sugar, brown sugar, coconut oil and avocado oil. Add almond milk and vanilla. Mix until well combined.
- Add gluten free flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix until the dough comes together. Add chocolate chips and mix until just combined.
- Roll heaping cookie scoop 2-tablespoon size of cookie dough into balls and place onto prepared baking sheet. Slightly flatten with fingers.
- Bake cookies 9-11 minutes. Cookies with be golden brown on the edges and soft to the touch. Allow to cool on pan 5 minutes.
- Place cookies on cooling rack and place in freezer until frozen. Once frozen, add a large scoop of dairy free ice cream to the bottom of one cookie and top with another cookie. Press until the ice cream reaches the edge of the cookie. Repeat with remaining cookies.
- Enjoy ice cream sandwiches right away or wrap in plastic wrap and store in a large ziplock bag in the freezer until ready to enjoy.